6.29.2008

Odd Thomas Series

Odd Thomas
by Dean Koontz

Many years ago, I read Demon Seed by Dean Koontz. Since it has been such a long time, I cannot remember the details of the novel or even the denouement. Nevertheless, I remember never wanting to read another Koontz’s novel. It was an interesting plot, a home monitoring smart computer develops humanistic emotion of obsession for the lady of the house (Susan), who is a twice survivor of abuse. I recall enjoying the fast pace novel, but hating the conclusion. Now, today, I cannot remember why I hated the end, but it is the reason I have shunned Koontz’s novels.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that Dean Koontz published Odd Hours, fourth installment to his Odd series, which is currently seventh on the New York Times book review bestseller list. I had heard that the series is very interesting, narrated by a young man (Odd Thomas) of twenty-years-old, who is a short-order cook in the arid Californian town of Pico Mundo with the gift to see dead people and other things. Odd creates a memoir recounting his life experiences seeing the dead, conveying, and fulfilling their wishes. In Odd Thomas (book one), Odd takes a proactive approach when an abundant amount of ominous visitors “bodachs” surround a strange man and then denizens of Pico Mundo. Odd must protect the people he cares for and save Pico Mundo from a grand massacre.

I am glad I gave Dean Koontz another try. Even though M. Night Shyamalan has already made The Six Sense, and it is a great movie, Odd Thomas is nevertheless creative and interesting though it does have similar aspects to Shyamalan’s most popular film.

The first chapter is gripping, disclosing Odd Thomas' talent and his proactive approach towards the dead. Aspects of the story unfold slowly never revealing too much but not being overbearingly concealed. There is a stirring plot twist; just when everything seems to be revealed and only the pursuit seems to matter, more questions arise. In addition, even an element of the conclusion was unexpected.

I will surely be reading Forever Odd soon.

For more information on Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series visit Odd's website Odd Thomas. There you can view Odd's webisodes called the Odd Passenager An Odd Thomas Story.

No comments: