9.21.2008

The Book of Lists: Horror (Stephen Kings Favorite Horror Novels)

Saturday I went hiking and Sunday, I went to the bookstore; it was the ideal weekend. In the bookstore, I stumbled across a book called The Book of Lists: Horror. Of course, I picked it up off the shelf, thumb through it, and decided to buy the 410-page paperback dedicated to lists, in particularly horror. I have noticed lists captivate many people online. I immensely appreciate a fine list. To enrich my knowledge of a particular genre, I search for specialized book lists. Most book lists contain books exemplary to the genre. For me, it is a great way to discover books that I may have overlooked throughout the years.

The Book of Lists: Horror lists not only horror literature, but also almost anything related to horror. For instance, it lists the top six grossing horror movies, top ten horror-themed rock ‘n’ roll songs, ten horror cocktails and how to make them (Bloody Mary, Vampire, Zombie, Werewolf, Frankenstein, Exorcist, Mummy, Devil’s Tail, The Hemorrhaging Brain, and Headless Horseman), and etc.

The literature section, chapter two, titled “For the Love of God, Montresor! The Literature of the Dread” contains some remarkable lists by prominent writers such as Bentley Little, Poppy Z. Brite, Jack Ketchum, Ramsey Campbell, Thomas Ligotti, Tim Lebbon and more. The lists encompasses topics about locations, surprising horror writers, revealed horror writers' pseudonyms, one hit wonders, apocalypses, original book titles and much more.

Sample List from The Book of Lists: Horror

Stephen King’s Ten Favorite Horror Novels or Short Stories

1. Ghost Story by Peter Straub
2. Dracula by Bram Stoker
3. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
5. Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco
6. Casting the Runes by M. R. James
7. Two Bottles of Relish by Lord Dunsany
8. The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen
9. The Colour Out of Space by H. P. Lovecraft
10. The Upper Berth by F. Marion Crawford


Left: One of the many waterfalls I saw while hiking. Photo taken by me.

1 comment:

Proth said...

For an English assignment back in elementary school I wrote to Stephen King and asked him what his favorite book was. He replied stating that it was "The Lord of the Flies." I read that book not too long afterwards and agree that it is a great book. Not exactly horror, but certainly horrific.